Council’s Economically Prosperous City Strategy 2012 – 2016 outlines what Council intends to do to achieve its vision of Adelaide as an Economically Prosperous Capital City.
Key Industry Sectors
A core ingredient in the creation of a great city. Retail underpins vibrancy and character and has provided the foundation for many of the great cities around the world. For cities such as Melbourne, London and Barcelona, retail is a strong contributor tot he City's economy. The City's retail offer is a key factor in the quality of life for the people of Adelaide, as well as the City's employers, investors and visitors.
A sector that holds enormous opportunity for growth of market share, particularly with regard to international and interstate visitation. A prosperous city-based tourism industry puts Adelaide on the national and international stage, diversifies our economy, brings vibrancy to our City and provides important growth opportunities for other economic city sectors such as retail and accommodation.
A major industry sector and driver of economic growth in South Australia and the City of Adelaide. The growth experienced in this sector has positively changed the life, culture and vitality of the City while also contributing significantly to the growth of other industry sectors. Education is a sector that uniquely positions Adelaide in a global context as a quality brand proposition and study destination in the competitive international education marketplace. Science, research and innovation are key drivers of economic growth and the many world class research centres existing and developing in Adelaide, together with the talented researchers operating in them, constitute the ultimate knowledge industry.
Over the past two decades, the professional services sector has provided the majority of the economic growth, jobs and productivity improvements that have supported Adelaide’s high standard of living. The sector also provides essential services that benefit the rest of the economy such as mining, agriculture, tourism and retail. A healthy professional service sector is therefore of vital importance to the overall health of our City economy. Rising incomes in foreign markets, substantial construction projects in our State and an ever increasing demand for technologies and services are opportunities that this Council will leverage to ensure that the sector continues to contribute to our City’s economic growth.
Examples of professional services include:
• Legal, accounting, marketing and communications, logistics, financial and insurance services
• Architectural, engineering, scientific and technical services
• Management and consulting services
• Commercial property services
• Health care commercialisation services
• Information, media and telecommunications services
• Specialist support services to other industries
Enterprise Adelaide is a single point of contact for business advice and services in the city of Adelaide. Its aim is to support and foster the growth of business by providing relevant business information and assistance to business owners who are starting, growing or relocating a business in the City of Adelaide.
Fully funded by the Adelaide City Council, Enterprise Adelaide provides access to business advisors, enables networking and referrals to government and non-government specialists and coordinates a range of workshops, seminars and business growth and coaching programs. The one-stop-shop also provides case management and facilitation of support for businesses dealing with a range of Council activities as well as providing:
• Business development and information services for small and medium business
• Training, mentoring and business coaching programs and workshops
• Specific industry and business precinct growth initiatives
• Licensing and regulatory information to new or changing businesses
• Services are available by email, telephone, at the Enterprise Adelaide office or by appointment at customer’s business premises. Information regarding workshops, seminars and information services is available at www.enterpriseadelaide.com.au. Regular email updates are available by registering on the Enterprise Adelaide website.
If you're seeking investment funds for your ICT business, go to Playford Capital.
South Australian Youth Entrepreneur Scheme
If you're a young person planning to start your own business, go to the South Australian Youth Entrepreneur Scheme.
Learn the secrets of business success in South Australia.
Department Manufacturing, Innovation, Trade, Resources and Energy
The Department for Manufacturing, Innovation, Trade, Resources and Energy (DMITRE) is the South Australian Government’s key agency in driving economic prosperity in the State.
Ready to export?
Want to move to South Australia?