Social Planning is an organised process for investigating and responding to the needs and aspirations of people and communities. Social planning outcomes are achieved through translating these needs and aspirations through strategic policy and action, integrated with urban, regional and other planning activities.
It is about planning to improve wellbeing and quality of life in local communities.
- People focussed while physical or environmental planning is place-focussed, but the two interact.
- A vital input into environmental and physical planning, particularly in examining the social impacts of changes to the built environment.
At Adelaide City Council we do this by:
● Identifying current and emerging social trends and needs in the City.
● Monitoring and responding to changing demographics in the City and playing an active and lead role in addressing social impacts and issues.
● Raising awareness of social issues, social infrastructure and human service needs.
● Promoting inclusiveness, diversity and equity in program and policy development.
● Supporting community groups and organisations via provision of grants.
● Developing holistic solutions to issues of safety in the City.
The City Community Strategy is Council's strategic plan for delivering a strong City community for 2012 to 2016. The strategy identifies important social outcomes for the City. It specifies strategies and key projects and guides annual programming of projects and activities.
To inform the development of the strategy, discussion papers were prepared. Topics include:
● City Profile
● Social Inclusion
● Lifelong Learning
● Community Wellbeing
● Community Development and Participation
● Social Infrastructure
» Social Sustainability Partnership Agreement (PDF, 52Kb)
On June 1st 2005 the Lord Mayor and Premier signed off on a Heads of Agreement for the Adelaide City Council and the State Government of South Australia Social Sustainability Partnership . The Agreement documents a commitment by the State Government and Council to work collaboratively in developing Adelaide as a socially sustainable City. It provides a high level policy framework for the delivery of well coordinated planning processes and implementation in the key areas of governance, housing, social inclusion and human services within the City of Adelaide.
Sarah Cleggett, Social Planner
Phone: 8203 7385