3D City Model
The City of Adelaide has created a 3D City Model, as a key tool to assist in planning for the City’s future. The 3D model is helping visualize the City’s future, particularly in relation to growth scenarios and land use planning.
As a dynamic and growing City, Adelaide’s skyline has changed dramatically over the last 10 years. The City of Adelaide Strategic Plan envisages further change, with an increase in the City’s permanent residential population of 1300 people per annum, an increase in over 700 students per annum, and a total increase in the number of City workers to 125,000 by 2012.
The 3D model has been updated to reflect the Development Plan changes in the Ministerial Capital City Development Plan Amendment (gazetted October 2012).
The model has been updated with:
● new planning zones, policy areas and building heights
● potential development sites, showing hypothetical building forms which could be achieved if these site were to undergo new construction
● heritage listed properties (State and local listings)
The 3D Model can be used to:
● Provide a public consultation tool to assist in visualising transport, urban design and planning.
● Provide extracts to assist architects and building designers to develop their buildings in a simulated real environment to refine their proposals.
● Assist in assessment of development applications for new buildings, enabling accurate overshadowing, overlooking and simulation of how the building will look within the City context.
● Illustrating the location of heritage sites and (in the future) other important public facilities and attractions, linking in with photos and text information.
● Collaborating with government agencies and other bodies in visualising future transport, urban design and infrastructure projects.
The 3D City Model is now available for public access. You can walk and fly through the Model and be fully immersed in the virtual City!
Accuracy of terrain, locations and buildings within the Model are generally within 50cm accuracy.
Please be aware that you will be downloading significant amounts of data and the responsiveness will depend on the speed of your internet connection. The data usage may also have implications on your internet plan’s download usage, and limit restrictions.
Launch the 3D Model
Adelaide City Council 3D City Model.
To access the Model, please ensure that you have the TerraExplorer Viewer and meet the system requirements:
NOTE: If you have previously installed the Version 5 viewer, you must upgrade to the Version 6 viewer
● Internet Explorer 6 or higher (32bit version only)
● Mozilla Firefox 2.0 or higher
● Windows 98, 2000, Me, XP, Vista or 7
● 512MB RAM (1024MB or more recommended)
● 64MB video card memory (128MB or more recommended)
● Fast internet connection (broadband connection is recommended)
Besides visioning, the 3D Model is being used to assist in assessment of development applications for new buildings, enabling accurate overshadowing, overlooking and simulation of how the building will look within the City context.
If you are an architect or building designer and your project is three or more levels in height or exceeds $4.5 million, Council will request that a 3D Building Model be submitted as part of the application.
The submission of a fully rendered Building Model that produces a realistic representation of the development will assist in the development assessment process. After completion of the project, the building will be permanently inserted into the City Model to keep it updated and improve overall realism.
Information Guide and Forms
For further information on technical specifications:
If you have any questions or feedback, please write us an email at: D.email@example.com