Eligibility & How to Apply
Each qualified personal trainer/instructor providing fitness services, activities and/or instruction to people in the Park Lands and/or City Squares must apply for a permit from Adelaide City Council. This may include individual trainers working for commercial or non-commercial fitness groups.
Each trainer must have successfully completed the registration process with Fitness Australia (being an “exercise professional registration”).
Permit applicants must have the following essential elements, where applicable;
• Current Exercise Professional registration with Fitness Australia or registration with peak association/body;
o Completion of a recognised Fitness Qualification (a minimum of Certificate IV Fitness) or Exercise Science Degree or Human Movement degree.
o Current Senior First Aid & CPR certificates
• Evidence of current Public Liability insurance policy to a minimum of $10million;
• Evidence of current Professional Indemnity insurance to a minimum of $5million;
• Mobile phone available during session in case of emergency; and a
• First Aid box available on site at each session.
A permit is required for all personal trainers/instructors using the Adelaide Park Lands and City Squares. This includes a sole trader of own small business or a trainer associated with a commercial or a non-profit fitness organisation. Adelaide City Council will accept applications on an ongoing “first come, first served” basis.
A permit will be issued to fitness trainers in accordance with the following steps:
1. Applicants complete a Fitness Activity Application form and provide the required evidence.
2. Council Administration staff will assess the application and ensure that it meets all eligibility requirements and there is availability.
3. An area will be allocated based on availability and demand and once approval is given the permit fee must be paid in full.
4. A permit and trainer ID card will be issued and the activity may commence in accordance with the terms & conditions.
5. The onus of renewing an annual or seasonal permit is the responsibility of the permit holder.
To apply for a Fitness Activity Permit the following information must be supplied:
● Evidence of:
• Current Exercise Professional registration with Fitness Australia or registration with peak association/body
• $10million Public Liability Insurance
• $5million Professional Indemnity Insurance
Please collate the above information and return the application and details to:
Active City Program
GPO Box 2252
Adelaide SA 5001
A Fitness Activity Permit requires the permit holder to comply with the relevant terms & conditions outlined in the Use of the Adelaide Park Lands by fitness groups and personal trainer Operating Guidelines (PDF, 516 KB).
Permit administration fees apply for a Fitness Activity permit. Permits are available for seasonal or annual periods and also for a casual “once off” occasion. Adelaide City Council’s current fee structure for these activities is as follows:
● Annual Permit $240 per year per trainer
● Seasonal (3mths) $120 per season per trainer
● Casual Use $60 per session per trainer
A business/organisation may apply for a permit for each personal trainer that conducts training activities in the Adelaide Park Lands on behalf of the commercial fitness group.
Submit your application and required evidence to Council. Once your application has been assessed and approved you will be contacted by the Active City Program to advise you of your application and subject to approval, payment in full will be required. Payment can be made by either;
- In person – Customer Centre, 25 Pirie Street, Adelaide
- By Phone – Customer Centre, 8203 7203
- Online (coming soon)
Benefits of having a Fitness Activity Permit with Adelaide City Council
Successful applicants will receive;
• Formal approval from Adelaide City Council to use a specific allocated location within the Adelaide Park Lands or City Squares for agreed days and times;
• Use of the beautiful Adelaide Park lands and City Squares, in a premier location and its amenities to conduct your business;
• A permit and ID card
• Opportunity to promote your activities on Council’s “What’s On” page.