Adelaide is perfectly suited to outdoor dining with our warm Mediterranean climate, rich cultural diversity and access to high quality local produce and wine. Combine this with our attractive streets, public art and passionate restaurateurs and we have a recipe for success.
Hosting Outdoor Dining is essential to our streetscape, providing an enjoyable and comfortable space to socialise and unwind in the City. Council wants to make it easier for businesses to create unique and ambient outdoor dining experiences for city patrons, adding to the cultural life and vibrancy of the city.
Who Can Apply
Food and drink businesses which occupy a ground floor establishment with street frontage can apply for an outdoor dining permit. To ensure adequate pedestrian access at all times, some restrictions are necessary.
Some basic guidelines are:
• Footpaths must be a minimum of 3.2m wide and may not be in a taxi or bus zone
• In some instances Energy Absorbing Bollards may be required
• There are set distances required from boundaries/kerbs and infrastructure that may be in the area.
Full details can be found in the Outdoor Dining Policy and Guidelines.
Potential streets for outdoor dining can be found in this map.
How to Apply
To apply for an Outdoor Dining Permit, the following information must be supplied:
• Completed application form
• Certificate of Currency noting public liability insurance (minimum $20 million which notes Adelaide City Council as an interested party)
• Site Plan noting existing infrastructure and proposed layout of Outdoor Dining Furniture. This plan needs to show the required setbacks from building/kerb/infrastructure. (Refer to page 16 of the Outdoor Dining Policy and Guides for an example).
• Photographs of the anticipated furniture to be used – including dimensions
• Payment of application fee (non-refundable).
GPO Box 2252
Adelaide SA 5001
Customer Centre – 25 Pirie St, Adelaide
Fees apply to all outdoor dining venues.
• Application Lodgement Fee: $345
• Transfer Fee (due at the change of ownership) $100
• Moveable furniture $151 per table
• Fixed Table $163
• Screens (Glass/canvass)/ Blinds $40.50 per lineal metre
Please note that umbrellas and planter boxes and other objects attract no fee but need to be listed on the permit and noted on the plan submitted with application - refer to Outdoor Dining Policy and Guidelines.
To echo the style and high quality of your venue, making a unique area for your business, this list of suppliers may be beneficial to assist you in submitting your Outdoor dining application.
Note: These supplies are not endorsed by Adelaide City Council, all responsibility for furniture and objects in an Outdoor Dining area remains with the permit holder.
Outdoor Dining venues - please complete this survey to tell us your thoughts about Outdoor Dining in Adelaide so we can continue to make it easier to do business with us.
All applications for Outdoor Dining Permits are assessed on a case by case basis. Special Conditions may be attached to individual permits if needed or if conditional approval is available.
Development Approval is required for any fixed outdoor dining structures.