Anyone can apply for a temporary road closure. Applications are usually associated with the following types of activities or events:
Sporting Events, Official Openings, Street parties, Promotions, Festivals, Product launches and some Marches/Parades.
Road closures require the formal resolution of Council to provide a road closure using the provisions of the Road Traffic Act, 1961; the Public Assemblies Act 1972; By-Law No.1 – Permits & Penalties; By-Law No.3 – Local Government Land and By-Law No.4 – Roads.
For information on road closures associated with road works please contact Adelaide City Council Customer Centre on (08) 8203 7203.
How to Apply
The Application must include:
● The Application Form [PDF] completed
● Provide proof of Public Liability Insurance that includes the Corporation of the City of Adelaide and its employees, contractors and subcontractors as Interested Parties. The amount is to be not less than $20million indemnity.
Download Application Form (PDF, 31Kb)
Senior Consultant Parking & Road Events
GPO Box 2252
ADELAIDE SA 5001
Fax: (08) 8203 7476
Applications should be received no later than 12 weeks prior to the scheduled activity/event.
Council expects the event organiser to advise the affected stakeholders to ensure that the owners/occupiers are aware of the relevant and the related road closures.
Once your application for a temporary road closure has been considered you will receive notification of the decision usually within 2 working days.
Upon approval a road closure notice advertisement is prepared for publication in The Advertiser advising the public of the intended road closure.
The larger the event, or the more important the road is to the City traffic system, the greater amount of planning that is required.
Costs & Enquiries
For approximate costs and further details regarding road closures please call the Road Events Coordinator on (08) 8203 7303.
Please be aware that fees may apply for the provision of:
● The road closure (installation and man hours)
● The installation of reserved on-street parking (Temporary Parking Controls – TPCs)
● Infrastructure erected inside the road closure – eg. Marquees, staging, scaffolding
● Use of the Park Lands
● Advertising costs for the road closure notice
● Any other services that may attract a fee.
The fees and charges are set out in accordance with Adelaide City Council’s current Fees & Charges Schedule
If you have any questions regarding permits, please contact:
Adelaide City Council Customer Centre
During business hours 8.30am - 5.30pm, Monday to Friday.
Phone: 8203 7203
Fax: 8203 7575