Free household chemical disposal day for ACC residents
Adelaide City Council and Zero Waste are offering ACC residents the chance to dispose off household chemicals in a safe and environmentally friendly. The drive-thru service will be the first of its type offered to City and North Adelaide householders.
Licensed professional waste management contractors will set up the collection point, so householders can deliver their unwanted chemicals in a cardboard box. Council staff will be available to help with directions and unload the chemicals.
This collection is an opportunity to dispose items such as:
● Kitchen: Aerosol cans, floor care products, polishes and oven cleaners.
● Bathroom: Pharmaceuticals, medicines, bathroom cleaners, nail polish and remover.
● Workshop: Paint strippers, cutting oil, solvent-based glues, any paints, thinners, acetone, turpentine, varnish, wood preservative and rust remover.
● Garden: Fertiliser, fungicides, weed killers, insecticides, pesticides and rat poison.
● Garage: Batteries, battery acid, transmission and brake fluids, car wax with solvent, petrol, diesel, kerosene, motor oil, sump oil and coolant.
● Miscellaneous: Acids, alkalis, artists’ paints, dry cleaning solvents, fibreglass resins (not mixed), mercury batteries, NiCads, mothballs, photographic chemicals, swimming pool chemicals, smoke detectors, fluorescent light tubes, compact fluorescent lamps and gas bottles.
Things to Do
● Keep or put labels on containers if possible.
● Package securely to prevent spills.
● Transport chemicals in your vehicle’s boot or trailer.
● Place containers of liquids in a bag or plastic bucket so they do not leak.
● Keep corrosive chemicals, such as battery acid away from poisons.
● Keep oxidising agents, such as peroxide away from all other materials.
What We Will Not Accept
● Business or industrial waste.
● Explosives or ammunition.
● Empty containers.
● Radioactive materials.
For more information, contact Zero Waste SA on 08 8204 1961 or our Customer Service Centre on 8203 7203.